Many of us remember the feeling of picking out a college or university to attend. We were nervous, excited and wanted to make sure that where we chose had absolutely everything we could have ever wanted. As it turns out, there are many similarities when choosing a retirement community, and now, many older adults are feeling the same rush as they did back then!
According to Jeanie Tini, Director of Marketing and Sales at The Estates at Carpenters, a Life Plan Community in Lakeland, Florida, because there are many different options when it comes to retirement communities, it requires a lot of research and touring to find the perfect fit for your lifestyle. “There are so many options, and, like colleges, it can be hard at first glance to differentiate one from the rest,” she says. “While many offer similar services and activities, they certainly aren’t one-size-fits-all. What is right for one person may not be right for another, and that can make the search even more overwhelming. This makes it so important to tour the retirement communities, just as you would a college. Seeing what each community has to offer, comparing the similarities and differences, and learning what really makes each community unique will help you to make the best choice for your future.”
How Choosing a Retirement Community Can Be Like Choosing a College
- You are searching for the amenities you desire. All retirement communities offer amenities and services, but do they match your interests? Is there a state-of-the-art fitness center with a full-time personal trainer on-site to help you stay fit? Is there an art studio or woodworking shop where you can express your creativity? Does the community have a billiards room to play a round of pool with your friends? Is scheduled transportation available to get you to the places you want to go? The same kind of questions you’d ask about a college campus apply to where you want to spend your retirement years!
- You are trying to find clubs and programming you may be interested in. Not unlike your college years, you’re always ready to learn something new or keep active with your hobbies. You want a community that will allow you to be engaged in community life. At a community like The Estates at Carpenters, there are more programs and activities than you will ever use! Check out a community’s offerings and consider what you might like to get involved in. Are there social groups? Fitness classes? Special interest groups? You’re sure to make some wonderful friends with common interests, too!
- Money matters. Many people choose colleges based on finances, which means most people stay in-state. Not only are there tax advantages to retiring in Florida, but a Lifecare plan at The Estates at Carpenters offers a smart financial option where you can protect your assets and save thousands on future healthcare costs. It’s like a scholarship for older adults!
- You’re looking for future support. Some colleges and universities have combined various curriculum – junior college, four-year programs, and post-graduate programs – to make the process easier for students to transition from one step to the next. Similarly, Life Plan Communities like The Estates at Carpenters offer lifestyle and care options to support older adults no matter what their needs. With independent living, assisted living, short-term rehabilitation, and skilled nursing all “under one roof”, residents have a secure plan and can rest easy knowing their needs will be met by a team they know and trust – within a community they love. Not all retirement communities offer a full continuum of care, however, so it’s important for you to explore your options and find out exactly what services are available in the community. The Estates at Carpenters has you covered for whatever your retirement years may bring!
- You want meals provided for you. College students often go from living at home where their meals were prepared for them to living on their own and counting on the school cafeteria. While the circumstances are different, the fact remains the same – you want meals ready so you can spend less time cooking and more time enjoying all that life has to offer! Fortunately, at a retirement community like The Estates at Carpenters, residents enjoy delicious, chef-prepared meals every day with a variety of dining options.
- A lively surrounding town is something you look for. Many college students want to live in an area that has plenty to do and see. After all, exploring new places is one of the best things about college. Be sure to choose a retirement community that’s located in an area that will keep you active and learning new things! In fact, Lakeland, FL has consistently been named a great place to live – with booming culture, unique restaurants, easy access to entertainment and so much more!
Although choosing a college can be full of pressure and extremely stressful, the process of choosing the perfect refitment community doesn’t have to be! Contact the team at The Estates at Carpenters to schedule a tour, try out some of our services and amenities, and learn more about how we can help make the decision simple. Contact us today to learn more: 863-279-4503.
Experience What it Means to Have True Peace of Mind
With the security and peace of mind of Lifecare, it’s no surprise why The Estates at Carpenters is the right choice for a perfectly planned retirement lifestyle. Schedule a tour and talk to our residents and team about why Lifecare at The Estates at Carpenters just makes good financial sense! Discover the uncompromised retirement lifestyle you deserve. Schedule your visit today!
About the Estates at Carpenters
The Estates at Carpenters is a Life Plan Community offering worry-free independent living, assisted living, high-quality skilled nursing care, and rehabilitation. For over 30 years, The Estates has provided older adults in the area with an active, engaging lifestyle filled with abundant choices and amenities and services that make life easier. A lifestyle designed to keep older adults healthy and well today – and tomorrow.
For more information on The Estates or to RSVP to an upcoming event, contact Jeanie at 863-279-4503 or visit our website.