As older adults age, the time often comes to consider downsizing and decluttering to make a move to a Life Plan Community easier. However, this is often something most people dread, especially since years of papers and beloved items can pile up quickly. The process can also be painstaking, boring and downright overwhelming. One of the best times to begin downsizing is NOW, as more people are spending additional time at home and are in very good health. Truth be told, none of us want to be cleaning, downsizing or decluttering when we’re at home and the weather outside is lovely, but it can be so beneficial not only during those hotter days but especially as the time grows closer to making a move.
“We encourage our future residents to begin downsizing a little at a time,” says Jeanie Tini, Marketing Director at The Estates at Carpenters, a Life Plan Community in Lakeland, Florida. “Whether they start with one room, a closet or even their kitchen cabinets, it can make the process so much easier in the long run. After all, a little does go a long way! If you or a loved one are thinking of starting the journey to downsizing and decluttering, consider starting as soon as possible to enjoy a range of advantages, have peace of mind and enjoy the lifestyle you deserve.”
The Advantages of Downsizing and Decluttering at Home
If you or a loved one are beginning to think about downsizing and decluttering to prepare for a move to retirement living in the future, consider some of these tips that outline why now is the perfect time to start!
- You have more time to go from room to room. The sooner you begin downsizing and decluttering your home, the more time you’ll have to do it. This allows you to take it slow, do one drawer, one closet, one room at a time. This prevents it from being overwhelming and stressful. When people are forced to downsize and declutter quickly, it can be a painstaking experience, and this prevents that.
- It’ll be easier to determine what you want to keep in the future. When you begin downsizing and decluttering earlier, you are able to take a better note of what you truly need. For example, take a few days and write down what items you use most – these are items you need to take. As time goes on, if you notice you don’t use certain items, you can easily live without them or you know you’ll never use them, you can donate or give them to someone who will need, use and appreciate them.
- It provides an opportunity to get a little more help from family. When you make a solid plan and goal to downsize while you still live at home, it allows you to have family come and help as they are able while not overwhelming everyone as well as yourself! Even better, while family is in you can reminisce, pass down items and enjoy the company of your loved ones more so than if you need to downsize quickly.
- You are less likely to be impacted by a health scare that requires a quick move. When a health scare or need for care hits, it’s a lot harder to downsize and declutter easily. This is often why many people decide they are going to downsize and declutter early.
- You won’t have to decide at the drop of a hat what happens with good family heirlooms. Did your granddaughter absolutely love your jewelry while she helped you declutter? Has your son always treasured that old photo album he used to flip through as a child? When you downsize and declutter early it gives you more time to really consider what items mean the most to those you love most.
- Once it’s done it’ll give you more free time to look into the lifestyle you deserve. Once you finish downsizing and decluttering, and can enjoy the freedom of having everything accomplished, it will leave you with free time to enjoy each day, look into your retirement options and ponder the lifestyle you’d love to live. That’s where The Estates can help. If you’re looking for a Life Plan Community that will offer you peace of mind all while enjoying an engaging lifestyle, freedom and more, contact us today!
About The Estates at Carpenters
The Estates at Carpenters is a Life Plan Community offering worry-free independent living, assisted living and high-quality skilled nursing care and rehabilitation. For over 34 years, The Estates has provided older adults in the area with an active, engaging lifestyle filled with abundant choices and the amenities and services that make life easier. A lifestyle designed to keep older adults healthy and well today – and tomorrow.
For more information on The Estates or to RSVP to an upcoming event, contact Jeanie at 863-279-4503 or visit our website.